The Redoute was given its name in 1997. Prior to that is was known as the House of the Officers of the Red Army. Built in 1974 it housed the commanders of the 8th Guard stationed in Nohra, near Weimar. It was used then as a venue for culture, theatre, meetings and as a restaurant.
The last Soviet forces left Thuringia in the early 1990s and the building was empty from 1993 to 1994. It was then to presented to the city of Weimar by the State of Thuringia and used as of 1997 as a rehearsal stage and for DNT workshops.
Redoute was the result of a citizens' competition for a name. It recalls the Redoutenhaus, the first alternative venue for the Weimarer theatre, built in 1775 on the former esplanade. Numerous lively masked balls, so-called Redouten, used to be held there.
19 years after the first move to the Redoute, the DNT is now opening its refurbished interim venue. The house on Theaterplatz will be closed from mid-April to late September 2016 when the orchestra pit will be refurbished.