In 1897 work began on the construction of an electricity plant on Kirschberg in Weimar. One year later the plant was already providing electricity for the city’s inhabitants. Shortly after completion of the plant, a tram network was built in summer 1899 which also ran on energy from Kirschberg. The old tram depot is all that remains of that short tram-phase in Weimar, and nowadays it is used as an art-house cinema: the Lichthaus Kino. The boilers of the electricity plant were still in operation until 1996, then they too became part of history, and the industrial monument began its second career as an art and cultural site.
The DNT (Deutsches Nationaltheater) has been using the complex of buildings on Kirschberg, including the former engine and boiler room, since its 2000/2001 season as an additional venue for theatre and music events. Young audiences in particular are attracted to the so-called E-Werk thanks to the charm of the provisional that it exudes; directors, choreographers and musicians like it as a variable setting.